How to Start the Leptin Reset and Regain Leptin Sensitivity
The following Quick Start Guide is intended as a quick reference guide for persons who have already thoroughly reviewed the subject and plan to become engaged, or are engaged, in a leptin hormone reset protocol. These steps are adapted from a presentation by Dr. Jack Kruse. Please see the link at the bottom of this article to read more details from Dr. Kruse’s blog.
STEP ONE: ARE YOU LEPTIN RESISTANT?
- Overweight, large appetite and craving carbs are signs you’re Leptin Resistant.
- If you are fit and in decent shape, then test your reverse T3. If elevated, you’re likely Leptin Resistant
STEP TWO: FOLLOW A STRICT PRIMAL/PALEO DIET
For best results follow a Primal/Paleo diet with high levels of Omega-3 fish, both during and after the leptin hormone reset.
STEP THREE: EAT WITHIN 30 MINUTES OF RISING
- Make sure breakfast is little to no carbs
- LOTS of protein at breakfast (50-75 grams)
- Limit carbs to 50 grams per day
- DO NOT count calories
STEP FOUR: HOW TO EAT/USE YOUR FUEL (MOST IMPORTANT)
- NO SNACKING! Snacking destroys timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin
- Most will notice a change in cravings within 4-6 weeks
- Eat no more than 3 meals a day initially (as your hunger and cravings fade you can adapt to 2 a day)
OTHER DOS AND DON’TS
- Do not work out before or after breakfast (if you must work out, do it after 5pm)
- Do allow 4-5 hours between dinner and bedtime
Trouble sleeping? Do 3-5 minutes of body weight exercises (i.e. pushups or squats)
SIGNS IT’S WORKING:
- Change in your sweating pattern
- Energy levels will rise
- Hunger and cravings will become less and eventually disappear
- When you awaken you will feel refreshed and well rested
- Men: rapid weight loss
- Women: Mood changes (calmer/sleepy), then sleep will improve.
- Clothes will fit differently and weight loss will occur if you continue the program
- 8 weeks is the recommended time to follow the protocol. It is not intended to be a permanent diet.
- When completed, you should revert back to a normal Primal/Paleo dietary pattern.
- Pastured/organic eggs; grass fed meat, poultry and fish; protein shakes (less ideal)
- Cooking oils when using carbs: (liberal amounts) butter, heavy cream, coconut oil, or palm oil.
- Avoid nut or seed oils in initial stages.